owen-coady-wyatt-henseler-photos-by-samantha-turner-and-aymeric-marcantetti
Senior left-handed pitcher Owen Coady (left) and junior third baseman Wyatt Henseler (right) were named pitcher of the year and player of the year respectively by D1Baseball. Credit: Samantha Turner , Aymeric Marcantetti

It’s an exciting time for Penn baseball, as not one, but two players have received preseason Ivy League honors. Junior third baseman Wyatt Henseler was named player of the year, while senior left-handed pitcher Owen Coady was chosen by D1Baseball as pitcher of the year. 

Henseler served as a dominant offensive force during his breakout season last year. Starting in all 48 games, he led the Ivy League with in runs scored and home runs, and posted a stellar .383/.487/.697 slash line, earning him a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection. He recorded 14 home runs, 72 hits, 57 runs, and 131 total bases — each setting single-season records for the Red and Blue program.

Henseler will surely be in the running for All-Ivy again, and be the focal point of the Quakers' offense this season. The Quakers had the Ivy League's second-highest scoring offense last season — a major part of that success was Henseler’s incredible campaign.

On the mound, Coady threw in 14 games and tabbed himself as one of the best pitchers in the Ivy League. He led the Ivy League by holding opposing batters to a .200 batting average, and posted an impressive 7-1 record. Coady also led the conference with an exceptional 2.80 ERA. 

It's clear the Quakers have star players they can rely on this season, making their quest for an Ivy League title more manageable. Penn will play its first game of the season against South Carolina on Feb. 24 in Columbia, S.C. This will kick off a daunting non-conference season, with the Quakers playing their first 11 games on the road, a sure test of the team's mettle.