05-22-22-mens-baseball-v-columbia-samantha-turner-3
Credit: Samantha Turner

Following a great season where Penn baseball won all of its series within the Ivy League, the Quakers found themselves duking it out with Columbia to advance in this year’s Ivy League Playoff Series. After sweeping Princeton in three games last weekend, Penn clinched a co-Ivy regular-season champion title that they shared with Columbia. Since Penn won its season series against Columbia, the Ivy conference playoff match was hosted at Meiklejohn Stadium for the conference title and to advance to the NCAA Tournament regionals. 

The playoff series started off on Saturday, right as a blistering heat wave struck Philadelphia this weekend with temperatures reaching around a high 90 degrees. In its first game, Penn crushed the Lions, 13-4. Sunday’s first game was a nailbiter but ended in a Quaker loss against Columbia, 4-2. With thunderstorms approaching at the end of Sunday’s second game — the final game in the series — Penn couldn’t rally and dropped the last game, 9-1. Even with the playoff loss, Penn baseball had a stupendous 2022 season, yielding a 33-15 record with nearly a .700 winning percentage. Here are some highlights from the playoff series this weekend:

Credit: Samantha Turner

Junior left-handed pitcher David Shoemaker was dominant when he came out of the bullpen in the last innings of the first game before the closer held them scoreless. This made him fourth in program history to have 21 appearances on the mound in a season.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Junior utility player Bill Miller ran into home with his fist in the air.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Junior infielder Cole Palis threw the ball to first base for a double play. 

Credit: Samantha Turner

Penn teammates high-fived each other while walking across the field after the first game where they won, 13-4.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Parents and spectators sat behind the dugout and cheered the team back in after Penn's initial win on Saturday.

Credit: Jesse Zhang

Junior catcher Jackson Appel hit the ball in the first half of the second game on Sunday against Columbia.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Senior infielder Craig Larsen caught a ball in the outfield for an out against Columbia on Sunday.

Credit: Jesse Zhang

There was a large turnout from both Penn and Columbia at the Ivy League Playoff Series, but the largest turnout was on Sunday when games two and three were played. 

Credit: Samantha Turner

Senior left-handed pitcher Joe Miller threw a pitch out to the Columbia batter for a strike.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Penn was in high spirits for game two as teammates cheered during walk-up songs for fellow team members going up to bat.

Credit: Jesse Zhang

The team welcomed freshman outfielder Nate Polo back into the dugout after he ran into home in the second game. In the game on Saturday, Polo also hit a double which scored two runs.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Senior outfielder Tommy Courtney attempted to run into home, but the Columbia catcher tagged him for an out.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Junior outfielder Seth Werchan ran to steal third base after a hit during the third game of the playoffs.

Credit: Samantha Turner

With thunderstorms approaching and rain drizzling, junior infielder Cole Palis hit the ball in the last few innings of the final game — but it was foul. Penn couldn't rally back and lost the game as a downpour started to empty the stadium.

Credit: Samantha Turner

The Columbia Lions celebrated as they won the Ivy League Playoff Series.