class-of-2025
The Class os 2025 Board will host first spring formal, titled "Bloom" on Friday, March 18. Credit: Alan Zhang

Penn’s 2025 Class Board will host the first-ever spring formal for first years this Friday.

The event, titled "Bloom," will be held at the Penn Museum at 9 p.m. and features live music. The event was originally planned as a winter formal, but was pushed back due to COVID-19 concerns. Some proceeds from the formal will be donated to Project HOME, a local charity, which was chosen by the Class Board 2025. 

College first year and Class Board President Will Krasnow said the idea came out of discussions on how many Penn first years missed their high school prom due to COVID-19. 

He emphasized that the two major goals of this event are to both foster a sense of community within the freshmen class and to raise money for local charities.

Krasnow also said that he hopes that the spring formal event will become a permanent first-year tradition, and another event that can help students get to know one another. 

“We are going to work with the future class boards to help them plan this event and make them aware of this responsibility,” Krasnow said. “This is a new tradition that we hope will be built into the Penn experience.”

Sri Pinnamareddy, the College chair of the Class Board 2025, spearheaded organizing the event and was the person who originally proposed the idea during the fall semester.

“I think the idea really originated when I was first running for election,” she said, echoing Krasnow's sentiments about many Penn first years not being able to experience a prom.

Pinnamareddy emphasized how she hopes the formal will bring unity to the Class of 2025. 

“I thought it was important to have a night where we can come together,” she said. “It’s really at these shared events that we find that sense of identity.”