04-09-19-wgolf-mary-shin-hunter-martin
Now-senior Mary Shin practices her putting at the Philadelphia Cricket Club on Sept. 6, 2018 (Photo from Penn Athletics). Credit: Hunter Martin

Tip Tuesday: Whether you’re on the course or on the range, always have a target in mind. 

For two years, the Penn women’s golf team has been posting Instagram “Story Highlights” for every day of the week. Posts for "Field Friday" feature a quick video of a player on the green. The week begins with "Motivation Monday," complete with inspirational quotes.

After their break through the winter, Penn men and women’s golf — as well as the Instagram stories — will be back in full swing.

Here’s everything you need to know as both teams return for the spring season.

The Rules

In NCAA collegiate golf, there are two paths for competition: team and individual play. Players are assigned to a particular format prior to the start of each tournament.

Typically, all teams play at least 18 holes per day over the span of two or more days. Each team consists of four or five players, with a few more assigned to individual matches. The winning team is determined by the total tournament score over all qualifying players.

Names to Watch

Penn men and women’s golf are stacked with talents ready to make their mark on the spring season. Here are a few names to watch for in the teams' competitions.

Carter Prince — Senior

Centerport, N.Y., native Carter Prince will be wrapping up his collegiate career at Penn, continuing where he's left off from the fall. Since his freshman year, Prince's game has improved during his time as a Quaker. 

In the 2018-19 season, Prince had a 78.4 stroke average over 13 tournament rounds — he was in the lineup for only five of 10 tournaments that year. In the recent 2021-22 fall season, however, Prince was in the lineup for every tournament, scoring an average of 74.0 strokes over ten tournament rounds. 

Susan Xiao — Junior

In her first season at Penn in 2019, junior Susan Xiao posted phenomenal numbers in the four fall tournaments prior to the COVID-19 shutdown. Over 11 tournament rounds, Xiao shot a 72.3 stroke average. Xiao even set the Penn women’s golf record for the lowest round with 66 at Delaware’s Lady Blue Hen Invitational.

After falling to a stroke average of 77.5 over four tournament rounds in the fall 2021-22 season, Xiao will look to bounce back this spring.

Jason Langer — Senior

Senior Jason Langer — the son of one of the all-time professional golf greats Bernhard Langer — has been bringing the Langer legacy to the Red and Blue. Over his three seasons at Penn thus far, Langer has toggled between the A and B teams while also competing as an individual. In the fall 2021-22 season, Langer scored a 73.5 stroke average over two tournament rounds. 

Looking Ahead

While the women’s team just returned to campus from a training trip in Myrtle Beach, the men's team is already back in action.

The men’s golf team spent Monday and Tuesday at the Bash at the Beach tournament in North Myrtle Beach, S.C. The women’s team, on the other hand, will have to wait until April 2 for its first game action. 

As the teams compete on greens across the east coast, their sights will be set on the Ivy League tournaments in April.