04-02-2021-temple-university-avi-singh
Temple University on April 2, 2021. Credit: Avi Singh

Dean of Temple University’s College of Education and Human Development Gregory Anderson announced he will step down from the position in May after nine years. 

In an email sent to Temple staff, Anderson announced his plans to take a sabbatical before working on a new research program exploring "college access and inclusion," The Philadelphia Inquirer reported

The announcement arrives after about half of the university's 70 full-time faculty members signed a letter that voiced concerns over Anderson's leadership style in July 2020, according to the Inquirer. Complaints described an unhealthy work environment where faculty often felt intimidated and junior faculty were especially hesitant to speak up.

While the letter motivated Temple to launch an independent investigation, the review found no evidence that Anderson violated a law or any university policies, The Temple News reported. Following the investigation, Temple administrators concluded that there was still a need to improve the work culture at the college.

“We can all do better, myself included. I look forward to reenergizing our efforts toward what has always been the mission of the college: to support and uplift our students with a continued emphasis on BIPOC and underrepresented student populations," Anderson wrote at the time, according to The Temple News.

Anderson’s tenure also saw the end of Temple’s Masters in Urban Education program, a decision that drew criticism from faculty and alumni who believed urban communities such as Philadelphia are in need of greater attention from universities, the Inquirer reported.

Following Anderson’s announcement, Temple Provost Gregory Mandel appointed James Earl Davis, a professor of policy, organizational, and leadership studies, as the interim dean of the College of Education and Human Development. Davis has worked at Temple for 11 years and has previously served as interim dean, according to the Inquirer.