11-22-2021-wbb-versus-villanova-jordan-obi-shooting-julia-van-lare

Sophomore forward Jordan Obi attempts a floater with Villanova players attempting to block the shot during a game on Nov. 22 at the Palestra.

Credit: Julia Van Lare

With the winter sports season in full swing, we take a look at where the Quakers will be in action in this weekend.

Women’s basketball (4-3)

The women’s basketball team will enter the weekend on a road trip to play Bucknell (4-2) this Friday at 6 pm. The Red and Blue have recently suffered two consecutive losses where they struggled both in converting offenses to scores and in defending three-pointers from their opponents. Additionally, the suspension levied on juniors and seniors due to a violation to University policy is still in place, giving the team yet another disadvantage.

The team will return to the Palestra to play Duke (6-0) at 1 pm this Sunday. The Blue Devils have remained undefeated so far this season and managed to score at least 70 points in every single game they’ve played. The Quakers need to be prepared for a very tough game ahead.

Men’s basketball (3-6)

Coming off its 5-game road trip, the men’s basketball team will take on one of its Philadelphia rivals, Temple (3-3), this Saturday at 4 pm in the Palestra. Injuries have trapped the Quakers since the beginning of the season, preventing them from maintaining a consistent starting line-up. 

Temple will enter the game with a two-game win streak while the Red and Blue come in losing two straight. The depth of the bench will be tested as the Quakers hope to continue their winning streak against the Owls, which has lasted since 2019. 

Men’s squash (8-0)

The men’s squash team will travel to Rochester, N.Y. this Saturday to play the No. 10 Yellowjackets (1-1) at 12 pm. Maintaining their dominance on the court, the No. 1 ranked Red and Blue has only given its opponents one game in a total of eight matches so far. The Quakers enjoy the advantage of an experienced team with the majority of their line-up being juniors, seniors, and graduate students who have competed in collegiate matches prior to COVID. The team should anticipate another victory in its last match of the semester. 

Wrestling 

After taking home the title of Keystone Classic on Nov. 21, the wrestling team will host No.2 Penn State at the Palestra this Friday at 7 pm. The last matchup between the two teams took place in 2019, where the Red and Blue suffered a 33-7 defeat by the Nittany Lions on a road trip. Entering the match with high spirit as nine Quakers have earned national rankings, the team hopes to tally another victory in the Palestra against Penn State since January 2003, where they won 22-14. 

Swimming and Diving

Men’s (3-2, 2-2) and women’s (3-2, 2-2) will both participate in the Zippy Invitational hosted by the University of Akron, traveling to Ohio to do so. In their last meet before Thanksgiving, both teams took down Cornell but fell short to Princeton. The Quakers will look forward to improving their records in the final meet of the semester. 

Fencing

After notching top results in all three categories - foil, sabre, and epee - at the Temple Open over a month ago, both the men’s and the women’s fencing team will travel to Columbus, OH to participate in the OSU Invitational. The event will take place this Sunday. The Red and Blue will hope to wrap up their last event in 2021 on a good note.