9-3-2021-womens-volleyball-vs-bucknell-caroline-douglas-samantha-turner

Junior Caroline Douglas bumps the ball during game versus Bucknell on Sept. 3.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Hot off a three-game winning streak, Penn volleyball is headed to Chicago this weekend to face off in the DePaul Invitational. 

The Quakers (3-0) will first take on Akron on Friday. The Zips boast a 4-2 record heading into the weekend, having swept the Youngstown State Tournament two weeks ago. The Quakers hope to keep their streak alive and win their first away game of the season.  

Next up on Friday afternoon, the Red and Blue will face Oakland University. The Golden Grizzlies are 2-3 on the season, although they have won their two most recent matches, so the Red and Blue will have to break Oakland's momentum this weekend. 

The Quakers' last game of the DePaul Invitational will be against its namesake, the DePaul Blue Demons (3-3). 

This upcoming weekend will feature talented senior members of the team. Junior Autumn Leak aims to add more kills to her 50-kill record so far this season, while senior captain Margaret Planek hopes to come through with her match-clinching kills. 

We can also expect to see big moves from the underclassmen, as freshman setter Sydney Ormiston hopes to build upon her selection for the all-tournament team last weekend. Sophomore Madison Risch also hopes to tack on her average, double-digit kills to bring Penn a victory. 

Although Penn’s record is the strongest of their opponents, the undefeated Red and Blue will certainly be tested in their first three away matches of the season. However, coach Meredith Schamun and assistant coaches Evan Feltz and Trevor Weiskircher will make sure their team is focused and ready to bring a win back to the Palestra.