9-2-2021-womens-soccer-mia-shenk-samantha-turner
Senior Mia Shenk scores the 2nd goal off a header at Thursday's game vs UIC. Credit: Samantha Turner

Penn women’s soccer started off its season strong and kept its burgeoning winning streak alive with a 3-0 victory against the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) at Rhodes Field. With 386 people in the stands, it was the Quaker’s most well attended women’s match thus far.

The Quakers took a lead early, with senior Jackie Bruder scoring the Red and Blue’s first goal in the 17th minute, assisted by freshman Janae Stewart. Bruder right-footed the ball and it flew over the goalkeeper. It was the first time this season that the Red and Blue struck first on the scoreboard. It was also Bruder’s first goal since 2019 and the third of her Penn career.

Credit: Nicholas Fernandez Sophomore Laurel Teuschl fights for the ball and takes it down the field in Thursday's game against UIC.

The squad’s second goal was earned by senior Mia Shenk in the 37th minute, assisted by sophomore Lauren Teuschl. The ball was shot from the far post and snuck into the goal. Shenk and Teuschl have started off the season with gusto, as this marks Shenk’s second goal of the season and Teuschl’s second assist.

The Quakers held onto control of the game throughout, attempting 12 shots in the first period and eight in the second compared to the Flames’ four attempts in the first period and two in the second. The ball barely made it to the Quakers' defense, which allowed sophomore goalkeeper Laurence Gladu to have an easy game.

Coach Casey Brown took advantage of this clear lead to give some of the new girls playing time, including freshmen Isobel Glass and Katerina Peroulas. She also rested some of her regular players, who she expects to put out on the field during the next match.

Credit: Samantha Turner Freshman Katerina Peroulas dribbles the ball down the field during Thursday's game against UIC as some of her first playing time of the season.

Teuschl bookended the game with a goal in the final ten minutes of the second half, earning the Red and Blue their sixth goal of the season. This toe-poke from the left side of the field further built up the team’s morale, leaving them energized for their weekend match against 25th ranked Hofstra.