joe-biden-donald-trump-collage
President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden will both visit the Flight 93 National Memorial. Credit: Chase Sutton , Sukhmani Kaur

President and 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump and former Penn professor and 2020 Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden will both visit Pennsylvania on September 11. 

The Flight 93 National Memorial, located in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, marks the field where an airplane crashed as passengers and crew fought hijackers over control of the plane, thwarting an attempted attack on the U.S. Capitol building on September 11, 2001.

It is not yet clear if Trump and Biden will attend the memorial at the same time. There will, however, be a formal observance to honor the passengers and crew members who lost their lives, USA Today reported.

This will likely be the closest the two candidates have been in months, CBS News reported

All 40 people on the hijacked Flight 93 were killed, the New York Post reported. Three other planes that day were flown into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, resulting in nearly 3,000 deaths, making it the nation's worst domestic terrorist attack.

Due to the coronavirus, the Nineteenth Anniversary Observance will be shortened from its usual 90 minute ceremony to a 20 minute “Moment of Remembrance,” during which the name of each passenger and crew member will be read aloud, along with the ringing of the Bells of Remembrance, according to the National Park Service website. It will begin at 9:45 a.m. EDT, and will observe the exact time Flight 93 crashed at 10:03 a.m. EDT. The service will be streamed virtually on EarthCam.

There will be no musical performances or keynote speakers as there have been in the past, but Trump plans to make remarks at the site, USA Today reported. 

Trump visited Shanksville in 2018 for the 9/11 anniversary, and the Pentagon in 2017 and 2019, USA Today reported. Biden has previously attended the Flight 93 National Memorial in Shanksville during his vice presidency.