residential-services-move-out-penn-coronavirus

Belongings that are still in on-campus dorms may be obtained in one of three ways.

Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Students will be able to return to campus in June to retrieve their belongings, or have them shipped or placed in storage by the University. 

Penn Residential Services sent separate emails to graduating and returning students on Thursday evening outlining various options for on-campus residents to retrieve belongings still in their dorms. 

Returning students can go back to campus to move out between June 4 and June 13, have their items stored at no cost, or make arrangements and pay for their items to be shipped to their designated address.

Graduating students and exchange students are also able to return to Penn within the same time period to retrieve their belongings. Unlike returning students, however, they can choose to have their belongings shipped to them for free.

Students who choose to return to campus in order to move out must follow public health protocols such as wearing a facial covering, adhering to a strict three-hour pre-scheduled time slot, and bringing a maximum of one guest for assistance with moving out.

The University recommends those who will not be returning to campus and are not in immediate need of their belongings have their items packed and stored.

University-approved moving companies will pack up the belongings of on-campus residents who decide to have their items shipped or stored. The companies will work with students to identify and catalog their items in both private and shared spaces. Students will also be able to schedule a video conference with company personnel as part of this process.

Graduating students who require more than five large storage boxes for their items must cover only the shipping cost of additional boxes, while returning students must cover the entire cost of shipping, according to the two emails. 

Those who return to on-campus housing for the upcoming academic year can have their items delivered to their rooms, while students who plan to live off campus will be allowed to pick up their belongings from the storage facility. 

All students who have not moved out of campus housing must indicate their preference in a survey by May 27. If left incomplete, items will be shipped to graduating students and stored for returning students. 

In an email sent to the Penn community on Thursday afternoon, the University outlined four possible scenarios for the fall semester operations in response to the pandemic, ranging from a hybrid of in-person and online instruction, a shortened in-person semester, and entirely online learning. 

A more specified plan for the upcoming semester will be made by the end of June, according to the email.