elizabeth-warren-new-hampshire-primary

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) endorsed fellow former Penn professor and former Vice President Joe Biden for president in a tweet on Wednesday. 

Warren posted a video on Twitter to announce her endorsement, in which she praised Biden’s record of public service and his leadership in response to the pandemic. The endorsement comes after Biden embraced some of Warren’s proposals, including plans to forgive student loans and expand Social Security benefits, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. Both Biden's and Warren's campaigns have been communicating on policy issues, the Times reported.

"Joe Biden has spent nearly his entire life in public service," Warren said in the video. "He knows that a government run with integrity, competence, and heart will save lives and save livelihoods. And we can't afford to let Donald Trump continue to endanger the lives and livelihoods of every American."

Warren ended her presidential bid on March 5 after failing to win a single state on Super Tuesday, including her home state of Massachusetts. Warren is the latest high-profile Democrat to endorse Biden this week, following former campaign rival Sen. Bernie Sanders' (I-Vt.) endorsement on Monday, and former President Barack Obama's on Tuesday, The New York Times reported.   

Both Warren and Biden have close professional ties to Penn. Warren worked as a professor at Penn Law School in the late 1980s and 1990s. Biden, who is currently on a leave of absence, became a Benjamin Franklin Presidential Professor of Practice in 2017 and is the namesake of the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement.

In a March 16 presidential debate, Biden promised to pick a woman as his running mate. Warren is often mentioned as a potential candidate for the position, along with former 2020 candidates Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who have also both endorsed Biden. 

Warren said she would accept the position if it was offered to her on the Rachel Maddow Show Wednesday night. 

In October 2019, Warren was briefly considered the frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination amid a surge in donations and strong polling numbers. She and Klobuchar were endorsed by The New York Times Editorial Board in January.