penn-mbb-bench-son-nguyen

Eddie Scott's impressive slam got the Penn bench on its feet, making it the No. 1 play in this weeks top five plays. 

Credit: Son Nguyen

In a big weekend around the Ivy League, both Penn basketball teams saw up and down results. While both teams took care of business against Brown, they suffered difficult losses to Yale with the men collapsing down the stretch and the women getting blown out. Despite the results, the two teams did create plenty of buzz with a number of exciting plays.

5. Tori Crawford’s deep scoop layup puts Penn ahead

While Penn women’s basketball wasn’t able to produce offensively against Yale, the Red and Blue were able to get off to a solid start in the contest. Early in the first quarter, junior forward Tori Crawford made a nice move across the paint and put a soft touch on a scoop layup to give the Quakers an early lead.

4. Martz’s hot shooting builds the Penn lead

In a crucial game versus Brown on Saturday, Penn men’s basketball went into the half trailing by a point, but the Red and Blue came out of the gate firing in the second half. After being held scoreless in the first half, freshman Max Martz opened the second stanza with a trio of deep three-balls to help fire the Quakers ahead.

3. Padilla puts Yale in a blender

After junior center Eleah Parker rejected a Yale layup attempt, the ball found its way into the hands of standout freshman Kayla Padilla, who took the ball up the court and weaved in and out to shake her defender out of her shoes and run the length of the floor for an easy layup.

2. Eddie Scott drops a dime to Jordan Dingle

Junior guard Eddie Scott has been no stranger to the highlight reel so far this season. While the forward is typically known for his athletic prowess, in this highlight, he showed off his fundamentals, firing a bullet pass to freshman guard Jordan Dingle, who finished an and-one layup attempt at the rim. 

1. Scott’s posterizer helps ice Quaker win

With Penn clinging to a three-point lead in the game versus Brown, the Red and Blue got a huge steal from senior Devon Goodman, who poked the ball away from the Bears' Brandon Anderson and launched a fast break. Goodman kicked the ball out to Scott, who took it to the rack and rose up for a posterizing slam over Tamenang Choh to give Penn the momentum it needed to pull out the win.