mayyi-mahama-field

Sophomore Mayyi Mahama impressed for Penn women's track and field setting a personal record of 19.89 meters in the weight throw, good for second best in program history. 

Credit: Son Nguyen

It’s a brand new decade for the Penn track and field team, and what better way to start it off than with an outstanding performance in New York?

After a record-setting opening weekend last month in Annapolis, Md., both the men’s and women’s teams were determined to repeat their success this Saturday at the Penn 8-Team Select in Staten Island, N.Y. And they certainly did, winning nine total events across a variety of different areas.

In the weight throw, sophomore Mayyi Mahama outperformed her competition with a personal record of 19.89 meters. Her personal record currently stands at No. 2 in Penn program history, as Mahama continues to get better. The Red and Blue also equally impressed in the shot put, with senior Maura Kimmel and freshman Morgan Johnson coming in second and third, respectively.

The Quakers also dominated in the short distance events, setting team records in the process. Seniors Cecil Ene and Nia Akins came in first and second respectively in the 400-meter, with junior Uchechi Nwogwugwu coming in fourth. Nwogwugwu is Penn's all-time record holder in the event, with her teammates Ene and Akins sitting at second and third, respectively, in the event. In the 60m hurdles, freshman Lauryn Harris, senior Breanne Bygrave, sophomore Skyla Wilson, and freshman Grace O’Shea took the top four spots, each setting new personal records for themselves and the Penn women’s team.

For the men, it was no different, with the Red and Blue continuing their hot streak into the new year. Junior Marvin Morgan won the 60m dash at 6.92 seconds, with freshman Josh Bridges coming in a close sixth at 6.99. Three Quakers, senior Anthony Okolo, freshman Emerson Douds, and freshman Robbie Ruppel, stunned their opponents in the 4x400 relay, winning with a final time of 3:16.61. Sophomore Ray Sellaro won the mile, posting the seventh-best time in the program’s history, while sophomore William Hare took the 3K in an impressive win.

And in the field events, it was all the same for the red-hot Red and Blue. Senior Sean Clarke easily took the pole vault competition, with junior Jake Kubiatowicz finishing second in the weight throw with an impressive mark of 18.35m.

These events capped a day of all-around success for the track and field team, led by coach Steve Dolan, in the Staten Island competition. The Quakers will look to continue their impressive 2020 run next weekend at the Dr. Sanders/Columbia Challenge in New York as the stakes of the indoor season gradually increase.