track-evan-lee

Senior Evan Lee competed for Penn track at the UConn Multi-Event Challenge this weekend and set a school record with 5,532 points in the heptathlon. 

This weekend, Penn men and women’s track spread some early holiday joy with high individual finishes from both teams at the Navy Invitational. Penn competed against Georgetown, Morgan State, Navy, Texas State, and William & Mary at the event. 

For the men’s team, two Quakers set top-10 all-time program records, and the four athletes on the women's side did the same. According to coach Steve Dolan, the event was a good chance to see what is in store for the Red and Blue heading into the bulk of the winter season in January and February.

“The most exciting thing for me is to watch the freshmen compete for Penn,” Dolan said. 

In the 60-meter hurdles, freshman Lauryn Harris placed first with a time of 8.55 seconds, and fellow first-year Grace O’Shea placed second with a time of 8.58. The men’s team had some successes from freshmen as well, with Antaures Jackson placing fifth in the 500 and Josh Bridges finishing fourth in the 60. The first-year hurdlers and sprinters demonstrated their athletic ability and the potential the Quakers have for not just this season, but the next four years.

The highlight from the weekend for Penn came from the UConn Multi-Event Challenge, where senior Evan Lee set a school record, recording the fifth-highest score in Ivy League history with 5,532 points in the heptathlon. Junior James Mirfield also performed well, qualifying for Nationals in the process. 

“A lot of credit goes to the coaches working hard and very good juniors and seniors who have been a part of the team for a few years,” Dolan said.

When the new year turns over, the Quakers will hope to find even more success during the winter season. 

“We try to compete well in all different event areas," Dolan said. "There were some good throwing, jumping and sprinting events. We had success in all the different areas, and that’s one of our team goals if we want a chance to win the Ivy League Championship. We showed that in the first meet, which is super exciting for the season to come.”