football-vs-princeton-rory-starkey

Senior wide receiver Rory Starkey Jr. attempts to stay in bounds after catching a pass against Princeton.

Credit: Izzy Crawford-Eng

Spoiler alert!

At the half of the final game of 2019, Penn football and arch-rival Princeton are locked in a tight contest, with the score 10-7 in favor of the Tigers.

The Quakers (5-4, 3-3 Ivy) are out of contention for the Ivy League crown, but hope still remains for Princeton (7-2, 4-2), as a Tiger win and losses by both Yale and Dartmouth would give Princeton a share of the Ancient Eight title. 

Credit: Son Nguyen

This imbalance in the game’s championship implications obviously hasn’t dissuaded the Quakers though, especially when the opportunity to spoil a rival’s season is on the line.

Right from the outset, the Penn offense set the tone. On the game’s opening drive, the Quakers, led by senior quarterback Nick Robinson, drove all the way down the field before failing to convert on fourth down at the Princeton 15. 

On the next drive, the Quakers finished what they started. Two first-down runs from senior star Karekin Brooks plowed the Red and Blue into enemy territory. From there, it was all Robinson and sophomore receiver Rory Starkey. The duo connected on two straight throws, the latter of which was a seven-yard touchdown strike to give Penn a 7-0 lead.

Credit: Alec Druggan

However, Princeton would respond immediately, utilizing the read-option offense to perfection and driving down the field to knot the score at 7-7 with 2:30 left in the first quarter.  

Whereas the first quarter featured long drives and offensive exploits, the second quarter was a defensive struggle, with Princeton’s 28-yard field goal standing as the stanza’s only score.

Check back after the game for a complete recap.