3596ee96-8a40-4372-9cc3-efefb07831fb-original
This year’s No. 11 ranking represents a slight increase from last year, when Penn was ranked No.12. Credit: Julio Sosa

Penn was ranked the 11th best university in the world by Times Higher Education, which publishes an annual report of the best global universities.

The University of Oxford and California Institute of Technology were ranked first and second respectively, while Stanford University, Princeton University, Harvard University, and Yale University made the top ten. Penn slightly climbed in the rankings from 12th place last year.

Penn also ranked highly in specific academic categories, and came in 13th in the arts & humanities category.

The 2020 ranking included about 1,400 universities across almost 100 countries, and analyzed five areas including teaching, research, citation impact, industry income, and international outlook, according to the website. According to the organization's analysis of its rankings, 60 institutions in the United States were ranked in the top 200. 

Times Higher Education analyzed 13 factors, including staff-to-student ratio, doctorate-to-bachelor’s ratio, institutional income, research influence, proportion of international students. They also considered the reputation of the institutions in teaching and research.

Penn was also recently ranked No. 4 in the U.S. in the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings. In the U.S. News & World 2020 report, Penn ranked No. 6, climbing up two spots from the year before.