wsoccer-sizzy-lawton

Freshman midfielder Sizzy Lawton's goal in the 11th minute of Saturday's game was all that Penn needed in its 1-0 win against Dartmouth.

Credit: Son Nguyen

The freshman class continues to make a major impact for Penn women’s soccer.

On Monday, freshman midfielder Sizzy Lawton was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week after scoring the Quakers' lone goal in their 1-0 victory over Dartmouth.

Penn (7-4-1, 2-2 Ivy) started the weekend with a 1-2 record in the Ivy League, and Lawton provided the Red and Blue with the spark they needed to get back on track following a 1-0 loss to Columbia (8-3-2, 2-1-1) in their last contest. 

Her goal came in the 11th minute of the contest. After senior goalkeeper Kitty Qu made a miraculous save, senior forward Emma Loving played a ball to junior forward Paige Howard at the top of the box, who won the ball and provided the pass to Lawton for the goal. Lawton, after taking a few touches, ripped her shot past the left side of the keeper. 

Lawton has scored three goals this season and has added an assist as well. She has started three games and played in all 12 of the team’s matches.

The Red and Blue's win against Dartmouth (8-5, 0-4) brings their home record this season to 6-1-1, including 2-0 in the Ivy League. Penn is just 1-3 on the road this season. Lawton and the Quakers continued their recent success with a 2-0 win at Delaware State on Monday.