436832a4-5d8c-405d-97ac-89947c18e7b0-sized-1000x1000
The WalletHub report puts Philadelphia up three spots from last year’s report, when it came in at 14th. Credit: Caroline Gibson

A recent WalletHub report ranked Philadelphia the 11th best coffee city in America.

The report considered 14 key factors in determining the best cities for coffee, including average spending on coffee per household, coffee shops and cafes per capita, and Google search traffic for the term “coffee.” The variables used to rank the top 100 cities also included average price per pack of coffee and share of households that own coffee makers.

The ranking puts Philadelphia up three spots from last year’s report, when it came in at 14th.

Other changes from last year’s ranking include Seattle unseating previous first place holder New York City. New York remained No. 1 in most coffee shops per capita.

Philadelphia also ranked No. 3 for most donut shops per capita.

WalletHub conducted its report in honor of the upcoming National Coffee Day on Sept. 29. Penn students should look out for local National Coffee Day deals — in past years, Wawa has offered free coffee to any customer using the mobile app.

Penn students in particular enjoy taking part in the Philadelphia coffee scene. For undergraduates, the Penn Coffee Club offers open coffee bars for the student body. Club members can also attend sessions focused on more niche areas like pour over technique. 

Graduate students can join in the coffee craze on campus by attending the Wharton Coffee Club, which started in 2015 and created a space for Wharton graduate students to come together over a shared love of coffee.

University City offers several places for Penn students to take advantage of Philadelphia’s coffee. In 2017, United by Blue expanded its 34th and Walnut location by adding 1,655 square feet, tripling its size. Saxby’s underwent a similar renovation at their 40th and Locust store, reopening the store in the fall of 2015.