mfootball-new-uniform-helmet-with-ball

The uniforms are inspired by those from the 1970s. | Photo from Penn Athletics

The Quakers' new retro look puts the red in the Red and Blue.

Following in the trend of last year's men's basketball team, Penn football announced on Tuesday it would wear throwback uniforms this season to commemorate the 125th anniversary of Franklin Field.

Photo from Penn Athletics

The look is inspired by the team's 1970s uniforms and includes a combination of red jersey and white pants. The helmet redesign — now also red — might be the most noticeable, featuring a blue "P" within two white footballs and a pair of blue stripes down the middle.

Photo from Penn Athletics

While the games during which the Quakers will have the throwbacks on have not been released yet, the home opener against Dartmouth on Oct. 4 is a strong possibility for their debut. Fans might also look to the homecoming game against Cornell on Nov. 9 and the "Puck Frinceton" rivalry against the Tigers on Nov. 23 as solid candidates where we could see the retro red at the Frank.

Photo from Penn Athletics

Last January, Penn men's basketball debuted a similar all-red look for the team's home game against Princeton to honor the 40th anniversary of the 1979 team that reached the Final Four.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Led by coach Harry Gamble, the 1973 football team tied for second in the Ivy League, and this year's squad will look to replicate that same success with a similar look. Senior running back Karekin Brooks, fresh off a performance against Delaware where he racked up 178 yards of total offense, is clearly a fan.

Video from Penn Athletics

The Red and Blue will take the field this Saturday against Lafayette seeking to earn their first victory of the 2019 campaign.