isstatsologo
Credit: Tamsyn Brann

In this week's edition of Is Stat So?, Penn soccer locks down on defense, volleyball gets off to a solid start, and sprint football coach Bill Wagner begins his 50th and final season.

Coach Brian Gill did not name a starter until just before the game, but Jacomen's extra year of experience over the only other goalie on the roster, freshman Nick Christoffersen, was enough to earn him the start. Penn beat Monmouth, 2-0, to win its season opener behind goals from freshman Kai Lammers and junior Joey Bhangdia.

Fourticq split time with junior Kacie Burton over the rest of the tournament, with the freshman finishing the three-game set with 63 assists and the junior just behind with 62. The Quakers won two of three games, losing only to Lehigh.

The senior's dozen saves was a career high, but not enough to secure the upset win over the Tar Heels, who generated a total of 30 shots in the contest.

The Quakers won two of those games but had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Fairfield. Breukelen Woodard scored each of Penn's two goals this weekend, including the lone goal in the win over Mount Saint Mary's.

Wagner is retiring after the end of the season, his 50th at the helm of the program. He will likely coach against the Quakers when they meet the alumni next season.

The pack of Quakers all ran together in the Fordham Fiasco, the opening race of the season. Just 3.5 seconds separated leader Julianna Catania and freshman Delia Russo in ninth.