wlax-ivyleague-lacrosse-tournament-women-zoe-belodeau

Troost served as the offensive coordinator and draw control specialist at Marist.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Penn women’s lacrosse has a new addition: Nicole Troost, who is joining the team as an assistant coach.

"It is truly an honor to be named the assistant women's lacrosse coach at the University of Pennsylvania," Troost said in a Penn Athletics statement. "I am extremely humbled to work alongside Karin Corbett, Kerri Whitaker and the rest of the staff at Penn. They have worked hard to set the foundation for this program and I look forward to developing young women while competing among the best at the national level."

Troost joins the Quakers after coaching for three years at Marist, where she was the offensive coordinator and draw control specialist. Troost’s coaching helped the Red Foxes achieve double-digit wins in consecutive years for the first time since 2010.

Troost’s expertise on the draw is likely to be an asset to Penn. Under Troost’s tutelage, Marist senior midfielder Hailey Wagner set the NCAA’s single-season draw control record with a total of 224 this past season.

"We are so excited to have Nicole join our staff," head coach Karin Corbett said. "She was an outstanding player on the field at UMass, but what stood out even more was her leadership ability as a student-athlete. It's clear she's taken those skills and applied them as a coach the past three years at Marist, developing a positive, competitive and winning culture. I know she's built tremendous relationships with those she has coached, and motivated them to excel both on and off the field. I can't say enough good things about Nicole, and we are all excited about the future of Penn Lacrosse!"

"One of Nicole's areas of expertise on the field is teaching the draw and all of the strategy that goes into that,” Corbett said. With it being such an important part of our game, we can't wait for her to work with our draw team. We know she is a coach our players will be drawn to.”

Troost herself played lacrosse for UMass. During her college career, she took part in four Atlantic 10 conference championships, as well as four trips to the NCAA Tournament. In her senior year, UMass made the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals.