wbb-vs-princeton-eleah-parker

Sophomore center Eleah Parker earned the Big 5 Player of the Year award after averaging 15.1 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 3.2 blocks this season.

Credit: Alec Druggan

Penn men’s and women’s basketball were well represented in the Big 5 awards for the 2018-2019 season, with a total of eight accolades. 

On Tuesday afternoon, the Philadelphia Big 5 announced its postseason awards. Penn women’s basketball had a strong showing, with a total of six awards, while men’s basketball received two accolades. 

Women’s basketball coach Mike McLaughlin was honored as Big 5 Coach of the Year. Concluding his 10th season as Penn's coach, this is the fourth time McLaughlin has received this honor. 

After winning Big 5 Rookie of the Year last season, sophomore center Eleah Parker followed it up this year by winning Player of the Year and being named first team All-Big 5.

This season, Parker averaged 15.1 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 3.2 blocks per game, leading the team in each category. Her season was highlighted by 11 double-doubles and a total of 99 blocks, which was fourth best in the nation. 

Senior forward Princess Aghayere received the Most Improved Player award and was named to the second team All-Big 5 list. Senior guard Ashley Russell was also recognized on the second team. These were the first Big 5 honors of the seniors' careers. 

Credit: Alec Druggan

Junior forward AJ Brodeur

On the men’s side, junior forward AJ Brodeur was named first team All-Big 5, while fellow junior Devon Goodman earned second team honors. In a year when the team swept the Big 5, Brodeur led Penn in scoring, assists, rebounds, and blocks. After only averaging 3.8 points per game last season, Goodman led the Quakers in three pointers and steals.

Both teams will be recognized for their awards at the annual Philadelphia Big 5 Awards Banquet and Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on April 15 at the Palestra.