mlax-adam-goldner

Junior attacker Adam Goldner lead the Quakers with five goals in their blowout victory over Princeton on alumni day.

The leading goalscorer for Penn men’s lacrosse added to his impressive total on Saturday.

Junior attackman Adam Goldner, who had already notched 16 goals on the year, went off for five more in a 19-10 drubbing of Princeton.

Goldner showed no fear in taking advantage of scoring opportunities, taking 15 shots. Second on the team in that category was senior attackman Simon Mathias with only eight.

Persistence pays off, however, as Goldner’s constant barrage on Princeton goalkeeper Erik Peters helped lead to the Quakers' offensive explosion. All told, 19 balls found their way inside the pipes in an important win to open conference play.

Goldner has been a scoring machine throughout his career at Penn, tying for the team lead with 28 goals last season. His performance in the Quakers’ first Ivy League matchup of the year was reminiscent of another five-goal game to deliver the Red and Blue a close win against Virginia when he was a freshman.

Goldner also had a four-goal game against Saint Joseph’s a week ago, meaning that he could be starting a dominant scoring run. His play has been key to Penn’s current three-game winning streak after the Quakers began the year with three straight losses. The Quakers have put up at least 12 goals in all but one game this season, showing that their offense, led by Goldner, is what could potentially carry them to an Ancient Eight title. 

Credit: Alice Heyeh

The Red and Blue were determined to get off to a good start in conference play against a team they tied with in the standings a year ago. Goldner’s offensive explosion provided the team with momentum that proved to be a large factor in the win.

Next weekend, Ivy League play continues for the Quakers against Cornell, a team that finished one slot ahead of Penn last season. Goldner will surely feature on the offensive end once again in Ithaca, N.Y. and throughout the rest of the season.