mbb-columbia-bryce-washington

Freshman guard Bryce Washington was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for the third straight week after his performance last weekend.

Freshman guard Bryce Washington picked up his third-straight Ivy Rookie of the Week award after two sizzling back-to-back performances at Brown and Yale this past weekend.

The Southfield, Mich. native scored 20 points in Penn’s 92-82 win over the Bears on Friday, converting four of his five three-point shots, a team-high, while also recording five rebounds and two assists. On Saturday, the freshman was held to two points in a team-wide offensive struggle. He also registered six rebounds and two assists in that 78-65 loss to the Bulldogs.

Both an offensive and defensive threat, Washington is tied for fourth on the team for points scored with an average of 9.5 per game. He currently owns the best shooting percentage on the team from behind the arc at .440, and has also averaged roughly 24.2 minutes on the court over the season, the most of any rookie for the Red and Blue.

The numbers imply that the freshman is already shaping up to be a formidable member of the team, and the Ivy League hasn't shied away from acknowledging the same.

This Ivy Rookie of the Week honor is Washington’s fourth in six weeks, and he will look to continue his streak when the Quakers take on Dartmouth and Harvard at the Palestra this weekend. With Penn sitting at 2-4 in Ivy play, the guard could play a crucial role in changing the Red and Blue's fortunes and helping them fight for a spot in the Ivy League Tournament come March.