robertplevy
Robert P. Levy

Robert Levy, a 1952 College graduate who served as a Penn trustee for more than 40 years, died on Nov. 7. He was 87.

At Penn, Levy was the women’s tennis coach and played tennis for four years as an undergraduate. The Robert P. Levy Tennis Pavilion is named for him. 

Levy held many positions in the Philadelphia community. He served as chair of Philadelphia-based conglomerate DRT Industries, as president of the Atlantic City Racing Course, as overseer of the William Penn Charter School, and member of the Philadelphia Art Commission.

Levy’s connection to Penn preceded him. Penn Medicine's Leon Levy Center for Oral Health Research was dedicated to his father, Leon Levy, in 1969

In 1976, Levy became the owner of the first major Thoroughbred track to conduct night racing racetrack. He also founded in 1953 the Philadelphia Little Quakers football team, which continues to this day.

“My father-in-law Robert P. Levy was a larger-than-life character,” Levy's son-in-law, Antony Beck, told Thoroughbred Daily News. “I will count myself as one of those people. I am grateful to him for the way he welcomed me into his family, for his daughter Angela, and for our five children. Bob will be missed and well-remembered.” 

Levy is survived by his wife Rochelle "Cissie," his five children, and 13 grandchildren.