mswimming-andrew

Senior Mark Andrew kicked off tri-meet season with a splash, with a solo victory in the 200-yard individual medley and a team medal in the 200 medley relay.

Credit: Emily Xu

Tri-meet season is officially underway for Penn men’s and women’s swimming.  

In the first of three Ivy League tri-meets this season, the Quakers enjoyed a bounty of top-three finishes in Ithaca, N.Y. The men split their matchups, defeating Cornell and falling to Princeton on Saturday. On the other hand, the women lost to both teams despite some top finishes in individual events.

Sixteen Quakers had top-three finishes on the men’s side (4-1, 2-1 Ivy), leading the team to a victory. Senior Mark Andrew took first in the 200-yard individual medley, clocking in at 1:52.09. He placed second in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:03.91 and took third in 200 freestyle with a time of 1:41.56.

Sophomore Boris Yang has been swimming strong this season, and that trend continued this weekend. He dominated the 200 breast, taking first with a time of 2:03.91. In the 100 breast, Yang finished right behind Princeton’s Corey Lau to grab second place.

Penn freshmen took first and second in the 500 free, with CJ Hinckley grabbing gold with a time of 4:38.54 and Jacob Furlong finishing right behind him at 4:38.72.

The Red and Blue stood out in the 200 medley relay, as Andrew led the Quakers to another victory with fellow seniors Mark Blinstrub and Thomas Dillinger and sophomore Sean Lee.

In diving, junior John Michael-Diveris scored 310.65 points on the three-meter dive to earn a second place finish. Freshman James Hopper was right behind in third for the Quakers.

The women (1-4, 0-3) had some impressive finishes as well, with 11 in the top three in the 16 events contested.

In the 1,000 free, the Quakers took the first three places. Freshman Catherine Buroker won with a time of 10:27.78 and senior Erin Kiely and junior Kaitlin Stearns followed up in second and third, respectively. Buroker also placed second in the 500 free, putting her at the top of the roster for distance events for the Quakers.

Sophomore Joanne Fu took first in the 200 fly with a time of 2:05.00, just .86 seconds off her personal best. Additionally, freshman Anna Newnam finished third in the event while sophomore Anderson Myers placed fourth.    

The Quakers return to the pool on Nov. 29, when they will face off against top ACC and SEC squads in the Tennessee Invitational.