museum-of-the-american-revolution-joy-of-museums-3
Gordon Makryllos // CC BY-SA 4.0

Alexander Hamilton’s fifth great-grandson, Douglas Hamilton, has loaned several family heirlooms to the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia’s historic district. The heirlooms will be displayed as part of the museum’s “Year of Hamilton,” which focuses on the connections between the city of Philadelphia and Hamilton’s contributions to the American Revolution.

Hamilton’s heirlooms were quietly handed down from generation to generation in a cardboard box. Douglas Hamilton said his family never paid particular attention to their famous ancestor, according to the Associated Press.

However, with the recent rise of Hamilton’s legacy in popular culture following the eponymous hit Broadway musical, Douglas Hamilton thought it was important to share his ancestor’s story. Douglas Hamilton personally delivered the items to the museum on Monday.

Chief Historian and Director of Curatorial Affairs Philip Mead said the heirlooms shed light on Hamilton and his wife Elizabeth's private lives, according to the Museum’s website. He added that the Museum is "honored and delighted" to be selected for the loan.

Some of the heirlooms on display include Alexander Hamilton's Society of the Cincinnati Eagle insignia and Hamilton’s widow Elizabeth’s gold mourning ring with a lock of Hamilton’s hair inside. Additionally, two never-before displayed items – a handkerchief embroidered with Elizabeth’s name as well as a baby dress made by Elizabeth – will be available for viewing in early 2019.

The Museum of the American Revolution opened in 2017 and featured a keynote address by former Vice President and Penn professor Joe Biden. The museum’s interactive exhibit, "Hamilton Was Here: Rising Up in Revolutionary Philadelphia," is open through March 17, 2019.