playeroftheweeksands
Credit: Tamara Wurman

Emily Sands has found her role for Penn women’s soccer: coming through exactly when the team needs her.

The junior forward continued her landmark season on Saturday, scoring both of the Red and Blue’s goals in the team’s 2-1 win at Yale to seal an important Ivy win.

Scoring just one goal last year, Sands’ two goals this weekend were her team-high seventh and eighth goals this season. All of those goals have put the Quakers in the lead, making her a critical piece of the team’s offense.

After a scoreless first half in New Haven, Conn., the West Chester, Pa. native first found the back of the net in the 49th minute off an assist from junior midfielder Megan Lloyd. The Bulldogs evened the score shortly after, but the Quakers were not done yet and pressed on in search of a winner.

Sands did what she does best and struck again in the 81st minute, this time off a corner. Sophomore midfielder Breukelen Woodard hit the crossbar with her initial header, but Sands found the rebound and slammed it home for her seventh game-winner on the season.

The junior’s explosive season has launched her on the national radar, with Sands currently ranked second in the country and first in the Ivy League for game-winning goals. Her eight goals rank second-best in the Ancient Eight.

As the end of the season looms, Sands has consistently been in the right spot at the right time for Penn. With any luck, she's not done just yet.