amyg
Credit: Daniel Xu

Penn President Amy Gutmann is the highest paid leader among nonprofit organizations in Philadelphia, according to a 2018 ranking published by Generocity, a local news organization focused on social impact. 

As an ex officio member of Penn’s Board of Trustees, Gutmann earned $3,537,020 during the 2015-2016 fiscal year, placing her on the top of the list.

Executives of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Drexel University also ranked high in this wage list, with the CEO of CHOP coming in second and the Drexel CEO coming in sixth. 

In order to conduct the ranking, Generocity studied the 2015-2016 fiscal year tax forms of Philadelphia’s largest 50 nonprofit organizations by income. Penn Trustees, who reaped a total income of $13,927,559,511, ranked No. 1 on this list of Philadelphia's biggest organizations. 

Credit: Tamsyn Brann

Gutmann is a familiar name among income rankings within higher education. She has been one of the highest paid university presidents in the United States in recent years, and her total compensation has risen by 341 percent since her first year as Penn president. Her salary increased by 6 percent from 2014 to 2015, and hit a skyrocketing $3,537,020. Gutmann’s salary in 2015 was approximately three times the salary of six other presidents of Ivy League institutions. 

Gutmann also ranked No. 1 on The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list – updated on July 2018 – of executive compensation of private colleges in Pennsylvania, and number four on the ranking of highest paid private-college leaders in the U.S. 

Despite her multi-million dollar salary, Gutmann has not always been the highest paid executive within Penn. In 2015, Tom Beeman, chief operating officer for regional operations at the University of Pennsylvania Health System, earned $4,822,512.