56931_policef-4
Credit: Julio Sosa

The Philadelphia Police Department urged residents of West Philadelphia to be on alert after three women were sexually assaulted in the area last week. The suspect, Robert Johnson, has since turned himself into the Philadelphia Police, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. 

According to the Inquirer, Johnson, 51, is a convicted sex offender. Accompanied by his brother, he turned himself in on July 26, a day after he was identified as a suspect and his picture was released to the public. 

The first reported attack occurred at approximately 5:45 a.m. on Tuesday, July 17. According to a police report released on July 23, a female victim was approached by an armed male at the corner of Belmont and Parkside avenues who forced her to walk to the entrance of Fairmount Park.

Investigators said the offender then brought her to a nearby tree and pulled his pants down and ordered the complainant to do the same. He then forced the complainant to perform oral sex.

The police report described the assailant as a "black male, 40-50 years-of-age, 6’0″, 175 lbs, gray beard, wearing blue jeans, gray hooded sweatshirt, red/white, and blue sneakers, and a black hat."

Police reported that just days later, on July 19 at around 4:20 a.m., two women were raped when an armed male approached the first victim at a gas station located at 4800 West Girard Avenue. 

The perpetrator pressed a gun to her side and coerced her to get back in her vehicle, where a second victim was inside. After sexually assaulting them, the alleged rapist robbed the women of approximately $420 and fled.

The police report depicted the assailant as a "black male, 40-50 years-of-age, thin build, clean shaven, wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt, tan pants, and a brown hat."

Police had not stated whether the incidents were linked.