29430_08152013_wawareopening11o

Wawa on 38th and Spruce streets, one of its two locations on Penn's campus.

Credit: Luke Chen

Philadelphia will soon be home to the largest Wawa in the world, the company's president and chief executive officer, Chris Gheysens, announced Thursday.

The new store will be located in the Public Ledger Building at Sixth and Chestnut Streets, across from Independence Mall in Old City. The construction of the 11,300 square-foot store is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018.

"We want to reach new audiences in every location. In the historic district, large groups can come in and take a moment to enjoy the space," Wawa spokeswoman Lori Bruce told NBC Philadelphia. "We are so happy to have it in such an amazing and historic area in Philadelphia. It is going to be one of the best so far."

According to NBC Philadelphia, the new store will have a more "sophisticated" design with additional amenities, including couches, a cafe seating area, a one-of-a-kind mural created by the Arts Program, and large interactive screens throughout the store.

"As society evolves, we want to evolve with it," Bruce said. "These screens will allow people to open up things like history of Philadelphia, Wawa or community involvement. They will also highlight some fun user-generated content from around the area."

The largest Wawa is currently located in Washington DC at the Golden Triangle Business Improvement District and spans 9,200 square-feet of space.

Around Penn's campus in University City, there are two Wawa stores, one located at 3744 Spruce Street and one at 3604 Chestnut Street.