58050_pennvetf
File photo

Penn’s large animal hospital has placed itself under equine quarantine after an admitted horse tested positive for equine herpes on Jan. 16. To impose an equine quarantine, the hospital has to isolate the infected horse from other horses. 

All elective equine and camelid appointments at the New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., have been cancelled until further notice by the regional state veterinarian, a School of Veterinary Medicine press release stated. The hospital will take in only emergency appointments for horses and camels during this period. 

Appointments with other animals including cows, goats, and pigs will continue as previously scheduled, as well as emergency care for horses and camels. The disease does not affect humans. 

The horse patient also showed signs of Equine Herpes Myeloencephalitis, a neurologic disease that is caused by EHV-1. EHM spreads through the horse respiratory system, making it extremely contagious. 

According to a press release from Penn Vet, the horse “had a non-traditional presentation for EHM” such as a single instance of "low grade fever."

According to an updated press release, another horse outside the facility tested positive for the virus and was placed under quarantine. Horses that had left the facility prior to the discovery of the infected animal have been quarantined on farms. Their caretakers are required to take their temperature twice daily and report any signs of disease.

"Penn Vet continues to work with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture on the tracing of equines," Martin Hackett, the director of communications and marketing for Penn Vet, said in an email. 

This is a developing story that was last updated at 7:59 p.m. on Jan. 19. Check back here for updates.