electionnight

PAACH, Penn Hillel and other student organizations facilitate group discussion to help students and faculty process and talk through shocking election results.

Credit: Tiffany Pham , Mark Shtrakhman

Responding to 1968 Wharton graduate’s victory in Tuesday night’s presidential election, groups and cultural organizations across campus held events to bring students and faculty together for discussion.

Platt Student Performing Arts House held an arts and crafts event with an endless supply of cookies and coloring books.

College sophomore and administrative assistant to the director of Student Performing Arts Nick Hunsicker talked about how the dance room was open for any student who wanted to blow off post-election steam.

“You could go in, play your music as loud as you want,” Hunsicker said. “You can scream, dance, sing, bang on the piano, anything artistically that you would like to get your feelings out.”

Many other groups on campus saw a similar need for spaces where Penn students could go to just talk and debrief.

Hillel was among the organizations on campus that co-sponsored the Solidarity Walk.

“We just wanted to let people know that Hillel is a space, as always, where they can process and talk to their peers and the staff who are trained to talk to students about these kinds of things,” said College senior and Hillel President Katie Hartman.

For Pan-Asian American Community House, the conclusion of the 2016 election caused a change in plans for previous events this week.

This week is Asian Pacific American Heritage Week. Engineering junior Sabino Padilla talked about how a dinner was scheduled for Wednesday night with the Asian American studies department in regards to courses within the department next semester.

However, in light of the election news, the dinner took on a different dialogue.

“Rather than talk about the department and classes next semester, we opened up the space for students to speak about how they are feeling and thinking,” Padilla said.

Throughout Wednesday, PAACH also served as a place where students could come and just chat about their feelings. When Secretary Clinton made her concession speech, members of PAACH went next door to watch with Makuu.

“Instead of turning on our own TV we wanted to go into that space and show them that we were interested as well,” Padilla said.

Other groups similarly echoed the idea of using the election as a way to bring people together.

Even before the result of the election was announced, Platt was already planning to hold events with topics ranging from racial identity to socioeconomic status that touch on political issues.

“While we are not really deep into the politics of the election, a lot of the social issues that come with the election we do have programing designed to deal with that and how they relate to the arts,” Hunsicker said.

Members of Penn Hillel said they are planning to go volunteer at a food bank or shelter in Philadelphia.

“Sometimes when there’s a moment like this there’s a feeling of powerlessness or inaction,” Hillel Rabbi Ilana Schachter said. “We would like to encourage people to go do good together.”