51129_todayinhigheredf

In light of rising societal tensions over sexism, racism and anti-muslim sentiment, Columbia University’s wrestling team found itself in deep turmoil after a GroupMe chat surfaced, indicating that its team members engaged in lewd conversations over about three years. According to the Columbia Spectator, the chat contained racially and sexually explicit messages and quickly drew condemnation from Columbia’s officials and students alike. The university has since taken action to suspend the team as it continues its investigations into the matter.

According to The New York Times, the team missed a tournament last weekend due to its suspension, and will possibly miss another this upcoming weekend against Cornell. However, it has been confirmed by university officials that the team is continuing to train. Meanwhile, Columbia students have already staged protests and called for harsh punishment such as disciplinary action, removal of the athlete fraternity house and requiring each member involved to issue a public apology.

This controversy adds to a list of recent incidents at Ivy League universities. This includes Harvard's men's soccer team producing a vulgar scouting report on current freshen female recruits and recent racist attacks directed toward black freshmen at Penn through a GroupMe chat connected to three students from Oklahoma.

Read more about the Columbia wrestling team incident here.