carr
Credit: Ilana Wurman | Design Editor

After a disappointing 13-13 finish to the season last season, head coach Kerry Carr has decided to make an offseason splash that she hopes will set Penn Volleyball up for future success.

Newest assistant coach Scott Schweihofer joins Carr’s staff in the hopes of bringing the Ivy title back to Philadelphia for the first time since 2010.

After spending the last two years at George Mason University as the team’s top assistant and recruiting coordinator, Schweihofer comes to Penn after helping the Patriots to their best single-season win total in six years. The former outside hitter at Limestone College brings a wealth of experience and success to the Red and Blue both as an assistant and as a player.

Coaching, though, isn’t the only thing bringing Schweihofer to the city of brotherly love. The newest Quaker will wed Caitlin Rimgalia, the head coach of Big 5 rival La Salle’s volleyball team, at the end of the month.

Carr has made her enthusiasm known for bringing Schweihofer into the fold, espousing her praise and admiration for her newest addition to the team.

“He stood out among all the national candidates, and he will immediately hit the ground running with his recruiting, scouting and technical coaching experience,” Carr said in a statement. “I have been able to witness first-hand his recruiting these past two years, as well as his knowledge and enthusiasm of the game when we played George Mason last year. I know our student-athletes are looking forward to working with our whole team of experienced coaches this upcoming season.”

On a team that has zero seniors, the coaching staff will be key in making sure that every player continues to improve as the season wears on. And with a promising young core, the Quaker program hopes that they can be at least Schweihofer’s second-most successful marriage this fall.