trumpjulio

One Wharton professor is doing everything he can to block Donald Trump's victory in November, including paying over $100 thousand to the Democratic Natonal Committee | News Photo Editor Julio Sosa

Credit: Julio Sosa

It happened — Donald Trump is the Republican nominee for President of the United States.

The 1968 Wharton graduate won the party’s nomination on Tuesday after securing 1,543 votes at the Republican National Convention currently taking place in Cleveland, Ohio. To secure the nomination, Trump needed 1,237 votes.

Delegate votes were announced Tuesday night in alphabetical order by state. The votes that put Trump over the threshold came from Trump’s native New York, whose delegation cast 89 votes for Trump.

Trump is the first-ever Penn graduate to win a major political party’s nomination for president of the United States. His campaign has frequently touted his degree from the “Wharton School of Finance” as proof of his intelligence, talent, and leadership ability.

If elected in November, Trump will join William Henry Harrison as the second U.S. president to attend Penn. Harrison, who was president for one month in 1841, briefly attended Penn’s medical school in 1790 but dropped out after less than one semester.

Trump’s four adult children, three of whom also graduated from Penn, spoke later Tuesday night.

The vote was not without controversy as several delegations cast votes for former Republican candidates Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich. The Alaska delegation demanded a vote recount on the grounds that convention leaders had miscounted their votes.