tuck

At a press conference announcing his retirement from the NFL, former defensive lineman Justin Tuck revealed plans to attend Wharton to pursue his MBA.

Credit: Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Just days after Penn football alum Ryan O'Malley signed a contract with the Oakland Raiders, one of Oakland's former players announced his decision to come to University City.

At a press conference formally announcing his retirement from the NFL on Friday, two-time Pro Bowl lineman Justin Tuck revealed his plans to attend Wharton to pursue an MBA.

"I'm not retiring. … One of the reasons I'm not calling this a retirement is that I've decided to take my talents to city a little south of here — down I-95," he said in the press conference. "Yes, I'm talking about Philadelphia. And if you think for a moment I'm talking about Philadelphia, that green team, you should be ashamed of yourself. But what I'm talking about is — I just got into Wharton. And I'm going to get my MBA."

Tuck is no stranger to Philadelphia. He spend the first nine years of his career with the New York Giants, playing the Eagles twice yearly as part of an NFC East rivalry. 

This past February, he made his way to University City, taking part in a forum at Wharton entitled "Beyond the Game: Tackling Race," hosted by the Wharton Sports Business Initiative, the Ross Initiative in Sports for Equality and Sirius XM. Appearing on a panel with the Giants' Rashad Jennings, New Orleans' Ben Watson, and Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, Tuck discussed the challenges he faced because of race as a professional athlete.

Over the course of his 11-year career, Tuck was named to Pro Bowls in 2008 and 2010 and won Super Bowls with the Giants in 2008 and 2012. He signed with the Raiders in 2014, playing in 16 games across the last two seasons. Earlier Friday, he signed a one-day contract with the Giants in order to formally retire with his former team.

Although it has yet to be confirmed, Tuck will likely begin taking classes starting this fall.