money_cash

For those remaining on campus over the summer, Penn provides plenty of grant opportunities. | Courtesy of Jericho/Wikimedia Commons

Still unsure about what you’re doing this summer? Don’t worry — you’re not alone.

For those students who are still looking for summer opportunities, the University offers a variety of grants and internships in areas ranging from research to community service.

THINKING OF STAYING ON CAMPUS?

Penn Undergraduate Research Mentoring Program
DEADLINE: Feb. 22
Students will receive a $3,500 stipend to conduct summer research with a University faculty member; research topics range from the economics of organ donor registration to analysis of playbills from 18th-century English theater.

School of Engineering and Applied Science Research Internships
DEADLINES: March 11 (NSF/AMP); March 31 (Littlejohn)
The National Science Foundation and Philadelphia Region Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Undergraduate Research Program and the Littlejohn Undergraduate Research Program provide stipends for students in the School of Engineering and Applied Science to do research with faculty members in their field of choice.

Class of 1971 Robert J. Holtz Fund
DEADLINE: March 14
The Holtz grant is available for students who wish to pursue a research project in any field. While students must be working on an independent, self-designed project, they must also have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member who will serve as an advisor during the research process. The maximum grant is $1,000.

Integrating Sustainability Across the Curriculum
DEADLINE: March 15
Students will work with faculty members to redesign or develop courses to make them more sustainable. The application is through the ISAC website; the site is currently soliciting faculty proposals, but information for undergraduates on how to apply will be available soon.

ALREADY HAVE OTHER PLANS?

Penn Wharton Public Policy Initiative
DEADLINES: Feb. 29, March 31, April 29
Students working at government or non-profit policy internships in Washington, D.C. can apply for additional funding through the Penn Wharton Public Policy Initiative. Funding will be provided up to $500 a week for a total of $6,000 for the summer.

Independent International Internships
DEADLINE: March 1
The Penn International Internship Program will provide funding for students with international internships related to their course of study. Priority will be given to internships outside of Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand and at nonprofit or small for-profit companies.

Civic House Public Interest Internship Fund
DEADLINE: March 23
Civic House provides funding for students who have been offered unpaid or underpaid internships in the nonprofit or public service sector. Potential positions include those in arts and culture, policy research and social welfare. The exact number of grants given depends on the applicant pool for the year.

Penn Summer Waiver Award Program
DEADLINE: May (2016 deadlines not currently available)
Work-study students who work over the summer in low-paying or unpaid positions may be eligible for a partial or full waiver for their expected contribution from summer savings. While work with nonprofit, public sector or governmental organizations is emphasized, academic or career-related private sector positions may also be eligible.