phipsi
Credit: Ilana Wurman , Ilana Wurman, Chaya Wurman

2015 College graduate Reginald Stewart is suing Phi Kappa Psi as well as 2014 College graduate Charles Gibson over a sexual assault he claims took place after a Phi Kappa Psi rush party in January 2013.

The suit — which lists Gibson and both the national and Penn chapters of Phi Psi as defendants — claims that Stewart was forced to consume excessive amounts of alcohol at the party, which occurred on Jan. 12, 2013. Then, Gibson allegedly took Stewart back to his dormitory and sexually assaulted him. Stewart says he was too intoxicated to fight Gibson off.

Stewart is seeking almost $500,000 in damages for the consequences of the assault, which left him with “a lot of medical issues that he’s still dealing with the repercussions of today.” The lawsuit accuses Gibson of assault, and Phi Kappa Psi of serving alcohol to minors and creating the environment that Stewart claims led to the assault. Both Stewart and Gibson were under the age of 21 at the time of the party, and neither were members of the fraternity.

According to court documents, Gibson does not deny having sex with Stewart, but claims that the encounter was consensual.

The suit was originally filed in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas , but upon the defendant’s request, will be moved to U.S. District Court , where it will be tried.