screen_shot_20141104_at_25808_am

As Pennsylvania voters flock to the polls today, they will play an important role in affecting the direction of the state by either keeping Republican Governor Tom Corbett in office or replacing him with Democratic challenger Tom Wolf .

Below are the major issues of the campaign that have resulted in one of the most competitive gubernatorial campaigns against an incumbent in recent history.

Minimum Wage:

The minimum wage, a hotly debated issue across the country, shows a deep contrast between Corbett and Wolf.

Corbett wants to keep Pennsylvania’s minimum wage equal to the federal minimum wage, which is $7.25 per hour.

When asked about an increase in the minimum wage, Corbett expressed caution. “The economy’s starting to come back,” he said in an interview in December 2013. “I always worry about changing the dynamic when we’re starting to come out of [a recession].”

In contrast, Wolf supports an increase in the state’s minimum wage, first by raising it to $10.10 per hour, and then by indexing it to inflation.

“I believe we need to raise the minimum wage to help Pennsylvania’s workers and strengthen the economy,” Wolf said in a campaign statement.

Environment:

While Corbett and Wolf both acknowledge the existence of climate change, they differ on public policy solutions.

When the Obama administration, through the Environmental Protection Agency, imposed new standards in June to reduce carbon dioxide emission from coal-fired power plants, Corbett immediately made clear his opposition.

“As Pennsylvanians, we are doing our fair share to reduce carbon emission, and we have made great strides in recent years,” Corbett said in a statement released on June 2. “I am concerned that these new mandates will eventually shut down hundred[s] of coal-fired power plants across the country and destroy thousands of family-sustaining jobs.”

Wolf has stated his support for the new regulations, yet he has also expressed caution and the need for flexibility. “We need to make sure they are applied fairly, allow for adjustments and create economic opportunities, not simply additional burdens,” he said in June.

Taxes:

Like many competitive elections across the country, the issue of taxes sits at the forefront of public discourse.

Corbett has expressed his strong opposition to tax increases, yet has stated that he could support small increases in sale or income taxes in order to offset reductions in school property taxes. During his time as governor, Corbett has signed into law some tax increases and some tax cuts. Going forward, Corbett has proposed reducing the corporate net income tax from the current 9.99 percent to 6.99 percent.

Wolf strongly supports increasing income taxes, which is currently a flat 3.07 percent. Specifically, he wants to raise taxes to offset reductions to school property taxes. Wolf has also stressed that Pennsylvania needs a more “fair” tax system, but hasn’t given a detailed plan. Like Corbett, Wolf also supports a lower corporate net income tax rate, but has refrained from giving specifics.

Education:

Out of all the controversial and polarizing issues of this governor’s race, education funding might take the cake.

Although Corbett touts increased education funding under his watch and Wolf accuses him of drastic education cuts, both candidates have expressed different fiscal philosophies when it comes to future education funding.

In the final gubernatorial debate on Oct. 8, each candidate expressed support for education, with Corbett stressing efficiency and Wolf focusing on increasing funding.

“We put more money into education than at any time in the history of education in Pennsylvania,” Corbett said in the final debate. “But we have limited revenue in which to do that.”

In contrast, Wolf responded by emphasizing the need to invest more in Pennsylvania public education. “Pennsylvania should be [a] state with a future,” Wolf said in the final debate. “And we need to do that by investing in education, not by disinvesting.”