tony_hicks_4

Sophomore guard Tony Hicks committed five turnovers Saturday at Lafayette.

Credit: Amanda Suarez

THE GOOD

Fran’s back

Fran Dougherty went 9-for-13 from the field en route to putting up 26 points after averaging just eight points per game in the first five contests of the season. With senior captain Miles Cartwright playing just eight minutes in the first half, it was up to Dougherty to pick up the slack offensively, and he did so early and efficiently.

THE BAD

Turnovers

It’s rare that a team loses when shooting 50.9 percent from the field, but Penn’s offensive efficiency from the field couldn’t offset its inefficiency handling the ball. Seventeen turnovers kept Lafayette in the game early in the second half when the Quakers seemed poised to pull away for good at any moment. Nine combined turnovers between sophomores Tony Hicks and Darien Nelson-Henry won’t cut it, even against a winless Lafayette squad.

THE UGLY

Blowing the lead

Penn appeared to have a vice grip on this game up 56-47 with 13:17 remaining. Yet it took Lafayette just 2:22 to reel off an 16-2 run and overtake Penn again, with Penn committing four turnovers and five fouls in that span. The Quakers ultimately didn’t have what it took to preserve a substantial lead on the road, and that doesn’t bode well for an upcoming slate of nonconference opponents boasting much more challenging foes than Lafayette.