dau_jok_3

Then-junior guard Dau Jok had the best game of his career against Lafayette last season. The fan favorite dropped in a career-high 18 points for the night on 6-for-9 shooting, including a team-high four three-pointers.

Credit: Andrew Dierkes

With Penn basketball set to square off with Lafayette on the road Saturday, we look back at the top five Penn-Lafayette showdowns of all time.

5. Jan. 27, 1997 – Lafayette 83, Penn 79
Although Penn was outrebounded by a wide margin – 55-34 – the Quakers lost a tight one to Lafayette. The Red and Blue led 64-57 with nine minutes left before the Leopards surged to tie the game at 70 four minutes later. Lafayette’s Stefan Ciosici then hit four straight free throws to give the Leopards a lead they would not surrender, despite Penn getting within three with 47 seconds in the game. Penn’s Paul Romanczuk, who hit several free throws down the stretch to tighten the contest, led Penn with 24 points, 18 of which came in the second half.

4. Jan. 4, 2012 – Penn 78, Lafayette 73
Penn’s bench sparked a second-half resurgence in a win that saw Zack Rosen become Penn’s all-time assist leader. After the Leopards’ Jim Mower hit a three – Lafayette’s seventh in a row – to put his team up 47-41 with under 16 minutes left, Jerome Allen immediately pulled his starters and inserted an inexperienced group. The collective, led by Cam Crocker’s five points, quickly gave Penn the lead. The game remained close, but Rosen helped the Quakers hold off the Leopards with four late free throws.

3. Jan. 11, 1989 – Lafayette 61, Penn 57
After failing to beat Penn in their previous 22 matchups, the Leopards broke through in a nail-biter at Allan P. Kirby Field House. It marked the 23rd straight home win for the Leopards. After being down for most of the game, Penn gained its second lead of the night with just under five minutes remaining, 51-49. The contest remained close until the end, as Walt Frazier converted a three-point play with seven seconds remaining to cut the Lafayette lead to 58-57. Frustration and controversy ensued for the Quakers in the final seconds, however, as Penn’s Jerry Simon was called for two questionable deliberate fouls, which prevented the Quakers from getting a final chance to steal a victory.

2. Jan. 8, 2013 – Lafayette 85, Penn 83
Despite shooting 60 percent from the field, the Quakers fell just short to the Leopards, marking the third time the Red and Blue lost a game decided by 2 points or fewer in the 2012-13 season. Down 75-60 with 7:47 left, the Quakers went on 21-6 run and tied the game with just under three minutes remaining. The contest came down to the last possession: down two with just seconds remaining, Steve Rennard’s three-pointer missed the mark, and Dau Jok’s ensuing attempt was blocked as time ran out. Jok had a team-high 18 points in one of the Quakers’ best offense performances in a disappointing season.

1. Jan. 11, 2000 – Penn 80, Lafayette 76
After losing at the buzzer to Villanova two days prior, the Quakers turned the tables and edged Lafayette late. Penn captain Michael Jordan was the hero for the Quakers, as he sunk a 17-footer with under a second left to break a 76-76 tie. Jordan had the Quakers’ final six points and totaled 24.

Q&A with Lafayette coach Fran O’Hanlon