img_6056
newly renovated fields - franklin field, vagelos field, rhodes field Credit: Carolyn Lim , Carolyn

Though the world of Penn athletics is abuzz with a wash of new facilities opening, the men’s and women’s soccer teams will have to wait a little while longer for their “welcome to the world” moments.

Both teams have had their season-opening home games moved to Penn Park from Rhodes Field, which is still being renovated.

Neither team has had their game times rescheduled, as the men are still slated to take on Stony Brook at 9:00 p.m. Friday and Sacred Heart at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, while the women will play St. Peter’s at 7:00 p.m. Friday and Mt. St. Mary’s at noon Sunday.

Renovations to Rhodes Field this summer have been extensive, beginning with the shifting of the playing surface 90 feet to the south while preserving the field’s trademark Bermuda grass.

Additionally, elevated stands have been constructed behind the south goal to allow fans to watch plays develop towards them and a new picnic grove has been developed along the southeast quadrant of the field.

To top things off, Rhodes will now feature a 9.5×21 foot LED scoreboard with video capabilities, a welcome relief from the tired electronic scoreboard hung from the old fieldhouse in years past.

With all of its bells and whistles, Rhodes Field promises to be a haven for both Penn soccer players and fans alike.

It just looks like it’ll be a little while longer before anyone can enjoy it.

Finding the silver lining: The highlights of 2012

Ivy outlook: Penn men’s soccer looking up at Bears and Big Red