In its second tournament of the spring season, the Penn men’s golf team successfully defended its team title at the George Washington Invitational.

The Quakers had the lowest team score among the 12 squads in each of the first two rounds, and their second-place tally over the final 18 holes was enough to comfortably trump runner-up Boston College. Penn ended the event at 866, while Boston College shot a combined 881.

Individually, sophomore Max Marsico led the 69-player field and was the only golfer to finish under par, shooting a 212 (four under par).

Marsico and the rest of the Quakers adjusted well to the aerated green. Aeration is an annual — or sometimes semiannual — process in which holes are punched in the green and filled with sand to help air flow. A form of maintenance that allows for healthier grass, aeration is usually completed well in advance of most tournaments.

“It was really bumpy, and that made it tough to make a lot of putts,” coach Scott Allen said. “The other teams were getting frustrated at the inability to make even the shortest of putts and our guys did a real good job of staying patient and hanging in there.”

Junior P.J. Fielding followed his third-place finish from last year’s GW Invitational with a 72 Saturday and a 221 overall. Fielding was Penn’s third golfer in the top 10 behind senior Scotty Williams, who ended the tournament tied for second at 216.

“There were certainly some tough teams in the field, but we went in expecting to win,” Allen said. “So to start the spring off with a statement win certainly gives us a lot of confidence.” — Mike Tony