For many college students, Hulu has filled the void where actual TV sets used to be.

Johannes Larcher, the senior vice president of Hulu’s international operations, gave a talk Weds. night hosted by the Wharton Management Club and the Undergraduate Media and Entertainment Club to discuss Hulu and its role in the evolving TV industry.

As the world’s number one online premium video website, Hulu provides its viewers with the opportunity to watch over 4,500 TV shows and movies whenever and wherever they want.

“Our goal is to help people find exciting and lovable premium content that is relevant to them,” Larcher said. “We’re not interested in cats on skateboards.”

Larcher emphasized Hulu’s success in combining the best of traditional TV and the Internet. Studies have shown that Hulu advertisements outperform TV ads on linear cable channels.

“We try to learn about our consumers and send them ads that are relevant to them,” he said. “This is something you can’t do on linear TV.”

Hulu distinguishes itself by giving its viewers a sense of empowerment and influence. “We allow them to have a say in what they are viewing,” said Larcher.

A 1995 Wharton MBA graduate, Larcher spoke about his experience at different high-tech Internet sites and discussed his business philosophy.

“I’ve been around the block in some of the most exciting technology companies,” he said. “I’ve learned that if you don’t have the appetite for big challenges you won’t succeed.”

The joint effort on behalf of the Wharton Management Club and the Undergraduate Media and Entertainment Club tried to bridge the gap between the fields of media and technology.

“There is a big interest on campus in hi-tech companies,” said Wharton freshman Landy Liu, who is on Wharton Management Club’s committee for speakers and events. “Having events like these give students access to knowledge from experts in the field.”

Wharton junior and Wharton Management Club member David Shi added, “I have found that people at Penn are extremely interested in entrepreneurship but that the curriculum doesn’t foster it enough. By bringing in speakers like Larcher, we give students exposure to entrepreneurship and the business world that can teach them how to be successful later on.”

Students appreciated the advice that Larcher shared with them after his years of experience in the Internet industry.

“I found that what Larcher said not only related to business, but to everyday life as well,” said Wharton freshman Alberto Smeke.

“Be obsessed with quality and sweat every detail,” Larcher said. “Life’s too short to do mediocre stuff.”