From Lee’s Hoagie House to Blarney Stone, businesses around campus are increasing their presence on Facebook and other social media sites to reach students.

“In today’s world, it is absolutely necessary. I think we are missing too many people by not using social media,” said Lois Zucker, the owner of Lee’s Hoagie House at 4034 Walnut St., which recently launched a Facebook contest to win $120 worth of food.

Little Guys Consulting, LLC — a company started by two Penn athletes — is one reason why a number of nearby businesses are launching Facebook promotions.*

“A lot of people are starting to use social media for business, for advertising and to get more interactive dialogue between businesses and consumers,” one of the co-founders said. “We realized that we can really try to penetrate the University City market.”

Since officially launching on Aug. 8, Little Guys Consulting already has 15 clients in the Philadelphia area, which include Blarney Stone and Lee’s Hoagie House. “They’re doing this for pretty much every bar, every store, every restaurant on campus,” Kevin Kearney, the owner of Blarney Stone at 3929 Sansom St., said.

Kearney is using Facebook promotions to bring in more business during times that aren’t as busy. In the past he used deal-of-the-day services similar to Groupon, but said he likes Facebook “because it’s free and it’s easy.”

Alexey Kats, a creative director at the salon Studio Cl at 128 S. 19th Street, was also drawn to social media’s “inexpensive approach to reach a highly targeted demographic.” He used Facebook pay-per-view click ads in the past but signed on with Little Guys to get a “more consistent approach to Facebook and Twitter marketing.”

For other businesses like Brysi Cafe near Franklin Field, this is their “first step into social media advertising,” Jason Matejkowski, the co-owner of Brysi Cafe, wrote in an email. Currently, students can get 10 percent off their purchase by checking into Brysi Cafe on Facebook.

“In the past, we have relied upon local newspapers, radio stations as well as posting and handing out flyers. We see social media as a supplement to these more traditional methods and as a way of reaching people who tend to get their information online,” Matejkowski added.

Although he was originally drawn to using social media for advertising because of its potential to reach a large number of people, he said, “Social media also allow us to improve relationships with customers by responding to questions, taking suggestions announcing new products and continuing our interactions with our patrons when they are away from the store. These relationships are not only good for business, they make the job fun too.”

*Because of NCAA regulations prohibiting student-athletes from endorsing anything for which they receive financial compensation, the athletes are unable to disclose their identities.