Students don’t always have to take notes during lectures. In fact, for some lectures, they shouldn’t.

Over the last 25 years, Ted Hershberg, a professor of Public Policy and History, has brought in numerous guest speakers to enrich and enliven his weekly lecture material. Among them, some chose to speak off the record.

Former Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Robert O’Donnell recently presented to Hershberg’s Urban Studies 250 class, “Urban Public Policy,” earlier this semester, discussing legislation processes and urban education issues, completely off the record.

When a speaker chooses to go off the record, it implies that no part of what he said can be quoted or cited in any publication, print or news media, explained Jim McGann, assistant director of the International Relations program.

Often, speakers will clarify that what was being said are opinions of their own and do not represent their affiliates.

“The request is that both parties in the room, [the speaker and the audience], understand and honor that,” McGann said.

Despite the honor code, some speakers still have reservations about open and candid dialogue.

Since his appointment in August 2008, executive director of the Fels Institute of Government David Thornburgh has hosted numerous off-the-record speakers. He remembers vividly when one speaker ironically informed him that “these days, nothing’s off the record.”

This attitude is not uncommon among public officials. Even with expectations of complete confidentiality in both print and speech, “public officials are very cautious any time they’re speaking,” Thornburgh said.

"Frankly they should be — it’s a low probability, high consequence thing for them," Thornburgh added. "All it takes is an iPhone with the voice memo application or something else in a smartphone to take a couple snippets … and it goes viral."

In 2009, Deirdre Martinez, director of the Penn in Washington program, thought it might be a good idea to record guest lectures, but her request was refused, even by speakers who weren’t speaking off the record.

“No one wants to get caught recorded saying something embarrassing,” Martinez said

However, she added that she has never witnessed something in a meeting that would be embarrassing to publish.

The motivation for bringing in an off-the-record speaker is not any different than bringing any other guest speakers, McGann explained.

“We not only try to expose students consciously to key theories but also their practical applications and that requires engaging people in the field who aren’t scholars,” he added.

However, while motivations differ little for inviting off-the-record or on-the-record speakers, students notice a change in the discussion’s atmosphere.

When Reading, Pa., Mayor Thomas McMahon came to speak to a group of 16 students in Government Administration 613 “Politics and Public Leadership” last Thursday, Thornburgh described the environment as “very informal” and beneficial for conversation.

Abi Egan, a College junior currently enrolled in Hershberg’s Urban Studies class, noted a more “open and better learning environment” when O’Donnell visited “Urban Public Policy”.

“Having an off-the-record discussion creates an informal environment where you can ask any question you want,” Egan said, “It allows us to get the most out of the speaker.”

“It just makes everyone more comfortable,” Hershberg said. “It makes it exciting and the whole thing ends up being very innocuous.”