11132010_basketballvsdavisonpete010
Penn basketball starts off Jerome Allen's first year as head coach with a win against Davidson. Notable players were Miles Cartwright, Jack Eggleston, Zack Rosen, and Conor Turley. Credit: Pete Lodato

California native Casey James arrived at Penn this year as a member of a heralded freshman class of seven accomplished high-school players.

Hailed by ESPN as “the most prolific shooter in the west,” the combo guard said he came in expecting to play “significant minutes,” even after his recruiters, Glen Miller and John Gallagher, left for other coaching gigs.

Then the season — and the Did Not Plays — began.

Three-quarters of the way through the 28-game schedule, James realized he could find better opportunities elsewhere. His decision to transfer became official at the beginning of April, and he’s now looking to return to his home state.

San Francisco State University of the California Collegiate Athletic Conference is his current “number-one option,” followed by Loyola Marymount, Pacific and schools in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

“Basically, my decision is basketball-related,” James said. “I just want to go back to California to play at a school where I know I’ll play a lot and also have a good time.”

The adjustment from senior captain at Capistrano Valley Christian to benchwarmer proved difficult for James. He went from averaging 16.7 points per game as a senior to playing a total of four minutes all season.

James and fellow freshman guards Dau Jok and Steve Rennard faced the negative side of a seven-man recruiting class, as they became casualties of an eighteen-man roster.

James said he, Jok and Rennard grew “unhappy” sitting the bench for entire games at a time.

And they’re not the first ones. Before the season, forward Brian Fitzpatrick transferred to Bucknell, citing the large roster as one of his main grievances.

Also a Miller recruit, Fitzpatrick was told by the now-Connecticut assistant that he would “come in and play right away.” Instead, he found Jerome Allen to have different coaching beliefs.

“For a freshman to play in front of a senior, he has to be that much better,” Fitzpatrick said in June.

James ran into the same trouble, explaining “the whole year, you have a lot more opportunity as an upperclassman than as a freshman, regardless of how you play. It’s set in stone.”

When asked the reasons that the coaches gave the freshmen for their DNPs, James said, “They would say, ‘If you don’t do certain things offensively or defensively, then you’re not going to get in the game,’” but did not discuss specifics.

With three more guards from the Class of 2015 committed for next season, the team will again practice and play with a crowded roster.

James doesn’t see the frustration ending.

“Definitely there’s going to be some problems with playing time and just the flow of practice.”