Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich was announced as the Social Planning and Events Committee’s spring Connaissance speaker Thursday.

Gingrich — who will speak at Irvine Auditorium on Feb. 22 — was instrumental in changing the political climate of the 1990s. In 1994, Gingrich led the Republican Party in reclaiming control of the House after 40 years of a Democratic majority.

SPEC Connaissance Co-Director and Engineering senior Mac Teng said Gingrich will help to “raise a level of discourse” on campus.

Gingrich is also considering running for president, Teng added, which will increase anticipation surrounding his visit.

Teng is excited about bringing a Republican to Penn’s campus as “it [will] expose students to a perspective that perhaps we don’t get to see.”

“He’s conservative [and] Penn is obviously a liberal school,” he added.

College Republicans President and Engineering junior Peter Terpeluk thinks that “Gingrich will provide a very interesting conversation.”

“Even if you don’t share the view of the speaker, people at Penn very much like to hear people talk,” he said.

Teng also noted the timeliness of Gingrich’s visit.

“There are similarities between [Gingrich’s] Republican revolution of the 90s and the Tea Party revolution now,” he said.

After Gingrich’s speech, which will focus on the current global environment and the American political climate, there will be a question-and-answer session.

“I’m hoping there will be people of all different backgrounds [in attendance]. I’m sure there will be people who have deep disagreements with him and we hope they will engage with him,” Teng said.

PennCard holders can enter a ticket lottery for the event on SPEC’s website starting Thursday. Lottery winners may purchase tickets for $1.