Penn freshman Meghan McCullough has played in just one collegiate basketball game in her career.

Yet the guard has proven that she can take her game to the next level and has established herself as a key component of this year’s team.

“All of the freshmen definitely feel very comfortable with the upperclassmen,” she said. “On the court, it all comes down to the game, so we all listen to each other.”

That team dynamic will be crucial tonight, when the Quakers (1-0) head to Drexel’s Daskalakis Athletic Center with the hopes of matching last year’s win total.

The freshmen could make the difference in the match, especially given that Penn has not defeated Drexel (1-0) since 2006 — the last time the Quakers defeated a City 6 program.

But Penn is a much different team than last season’s two-victory squad. The emergence of McCullough and fellow rookie Alyssa Baron, along with a great deal of practice in the offseason, helped the Quakers earn a 70-59 win over Bryant in their season opener.

McCullough contributed 15 points to the victory on 4-for-9 shooting from the field and went 6-for-6 from the line. Baron, meanwhile, was the Red and Blue’s leading scorer with 20 points.

It was a performance with which coach Mike McLaughlin was pleased. However, he also recognizes that the Quakers still have work to do.

“We broke down the film a little bit, showed them some really good things that we did and things that we could get better in,” he said.

“I thought we gave up way too many offensive rebounds in the first game,” McLaughlin added. “Drexel will spread us wide like Bryant did, so we’re hoping that what we do this week really hits home.”

The Dragons exhibited an aggressive style of play against La Salle, defeating the Explorers on Tuesday by 31 points.

“Drexel really knows how to capitalize on any breakdowns on the defensive end, and they get quality shots as a result,” McLaughlin said. “Our goal is to get our players ready to play mentally and have them understand that any lapse we have is going to create an easy shot for Drexel.”

Penn has three options at the center position in senior Caroline Nicholson, junior Jourdan Banks and freshman Courtney Wilson. McLaughlin said this depth will be very valuable to the Quakers in the long run.

“We are playing three post players right now, and I like all three of them,” he said. “I think they all offer something different. In one game, you may see one of them play 20 minutes and then play five in the next.”